What is Small Steps T.A.L.C.?
What exactly is T.A.L.C.?
Small Steps is a youth peer ambassador group with the focus on suicide prevention. It is not uncommon for teens to think about suicide. Every year 1 in 5 teens seriously considers suicide and youth will most often seek help from their peers. It is imperative that youth are provided the tools to recognize other youth who may be at risk for suicide and the knowledge of how to respond if they are concerned. Studies have shown that youth peer training is an effective practice for education for youth.
What will the ambassadors learn?
- Increased knowledge of warning signs, risk and protective factors of suicide
- Increased understanding of help-seeking behavior; how to ask for help for themselves and others
- Increased knowledge of resources and crisis contact (locally and nationally) using the simple life skill and tool – the Ask 4 Help!® Wallet card
- How to respond to a friend, a cry for help.
- Increased empowerment of their own abilities by knowing the development of the Program and that youth can know how to, and do, make a difference.
How much is it to join?
What happens once I join?
We do different things we do throughout the year for example...
- Weekly Meetings
- Care Packages
- End of the year trip... Most importantly you will help save a life!